Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Crunchy-edged Crepes {Gluten Free}


My mom made these for my birthday. Today is my birthday. It does not seem real. It takes me about ten months to get used to my age and then two months later I have to start all over again.

But about the crepes. 
They are crunchy around the edges but soft and spongy on the inside.

Ingredients:
2 cups milk**
2 eggs
 ½ teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 ½ cups Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix

**Update: If you use Buttermilk instead of milk, it makes the crepes extra fluffy and yummy.**

Instructions:
In a blender or Vitamix, add wet ingredients first, and then flour. Blend. Heat up a little frying pan with butter or coconut oil. Using a ¼ cup measure, scoop out some batter and pour it into the pan. Watch the crepe closely. Flip it when the edges turn brown. 
Compare the crepe in the pan, below, with the one on the plate, above. "Doneness" varies, but it'll taste great no matter what it looks like.
When done serve with fruit and Greek yogurt, or anything else you might like. Even with our Teflon pan, we oil it between each crepe. Yield 14 crepes.
Update: other serving suggestions include turning this breakfast food into a dessert, such as a s'more inspired concoction. Spread peanut butter on a crepe, and put chocolate chips and marshmallows on top, then melt till the chocolate is gooey and the marshmallows are puffy and lightly browned. Yum! Or make it a main dish by using the crepe as a tortilla-- but omit the vanilla-- read more ideas here.


 I was having way too much fun with my sister's camera. It looks almost too good to eat. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love *positive* feedback